Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 36-Countdown


Make sure you are really Nice to Your Kids!

Don’t forget They'll 
Choose Your Nursing 
Home.

The countdown is on! Dad gets to come home soon!!!! He has met all the therapy goals that the rehab unit has set for him. Heritage House can no longer keep him.  So, we have 2 options...bring him home or he transistions to a nursing home. 

Let me think about that for a sec...

Of course we want to bring him home!  To get ready to bring him home, dad will be moving to a hospice unit today.  It's like a 5 day hotel stay for dad...he gets a nicer room, fresh cookies baked on Thursday, and a private courtyard to enjoy the 70 degree weather we are being promised. 
(I am still looking for the swimming pool and spa) By early next week, he will be ready to go home.

Hospice will be taking over and managing his care and providing medical supplies.  This should give us peace of mind to have support for the ALS.  Phase one of our journey is over.  Phase two-homecoming is about to begin.  This is going to be a very difficult journey, but one I can't wait to make everyday with dad.  Mom will have minimal home health care and she will have to devote her days to his care-he still has limited use of his hands and has to be fed.  Dad is going to feel so good at home...sitting in his chair, watching his tv, dvr recording endless hours of crap on tv, and eating real food!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear this. His progress has been nothing short of amazing. I'm hoping he'll be able to use his email and computer games again soon.
    Sorry I couldn't make it to the dinner. It was too sudden for me to make arrangements to be there. Tell Justin I wish I could have come.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete